About Me       Advertise       Contact Me       Disclosure       FAQs       Link Love

9.07.2012

Flavors of Fall

Maybe it's the changing of the leaves or the beginning of football season; there's just something I love about fall. It was in the running for my favorite season for a few years, and I think it's officially won my heart as well as my appetite. Confused? Read on! You see, there are certain flavors of fall that can captivate a table full of guests or simply make you drool in private. Gross, but totally feasable. Anyway, I've scoured the magazine racks, Pinterest boards, and foodie blogs to find a variety of fall fare for us to share. Hey, that rhymed! Moving on.

___________________________________________________________
 
 
Starter: Harvest Salad
Courtesy of Eat, Live, Run found here


This salad was super-easy to put together, and the flavor was on point. Usually, I don't like vinaigrette; however, this one was a hit. I think what did it was both the Dijon and the honey, because they brought a little tanginess and a little sweetness to the bitter balsamic vinegar.
 
 
Main Course: Pasta with Pumpkin, Sausage, and Cavolo Nero
Courtesy of Fine Cooking's "CookFresh" magazine, Fall 2012 Issue

 
 I was also on the fence with this one...I don't work with kale often and wondered if it would overpower the dish. Instead, it provided a nice cushion for all the yummy, creamy sauce to snuggle up to! Haha. The Italian sausage was a perfect, hearty addition and the meal was a big hit with the In-Laws (and the dog, who got leftovers).

 
Snack: Butternut Squash Quesadilla
Courtesy of Savor! West Virginia magazine, Fall 2012 Issue


Even though Savor! Magazine always have amazing recipes, I wasn't sure how a quesadilla with squash in it would work...let alone taste good. However, I was pleasantly surprised! Each ingredient served a purpose; the onion brought sweetness once cooked, the squash almost melted in my mouth (so buttery and nutty). And a sour cream and lime dip?! I'm in love with this flavor combo and plan on putting this in my weekly rotation. Side Note: I ran out of butternut squash before this recipe so, instead, used acorn squash. It has a similar flavor, worked well with the dish.
 
 
Dessert: Pumpkin-Spiced Oatmeal Pecan Cookies
Courtesy of SkinnyTaste, found here

I'm not giving you the pretty end picture for this one...not yet. First, here are a few slightly disturbing ones. You see, the can of pumpkin and I got in a fight. It won, and the various tools I used to open the damn thing beat my poor hands into submission. See Exhibits A & B!

 
 

And no, my hand does not look like that normally. Embarrassing, but necessary! After all that, I didn't even want to make the cookies. Yeah right...I wanted to make them so I could eat all my frustration!! Honestly, I don't know how these cookies are healthy. I found them on SkinnyTaste, but they tasted sinfully, not skinny! They were tasty though. Next time, I would cut down the white sugar from 1/2 cup to 1/3.

___________________________________________________________


Let me know what you thought about these recipes! And if you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you will get two bonus fall drink recipes. Tweet @suburbchicblog or search Suburb Chic on Facebook


2 comments:

  1. Yum! I've been looking for a new salad recipe & think I found one. Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that salad looks amazing!

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete