About Me       Advertise       Contact Me       Disclosure       FAQs       Link Love

9.20.2012

Moroccan Manes: Hair Oil Product Review

If you're looking for the a big oil spill...you've come to the right place. No, this isn't the Exxon Valdez crisis (nor is that appropriate to joke about); I'm talking about spilling the secret to sleek, shiny, softly-coifed hair. It's oil! Using oil on hair sounds counter-intuitive, but it works wonders on your lettuce when applied properly. I've gathered three high-end and three drugstore takes on the miracle serum to show you what works and what doesn't. But first, a quick breakdown on what these buzz-worthy buys do!
 
Argan or "Moroccan" Oil comes from the argan trees of, you guessed it, Morocco. The oil is rich in Vitamin E, fatty-acids, all kinds of good stuff! What it does to your hair is simple and has been explained best by Andre Walker, Oprah's hair stylist (hello people!)..."It gives (the hair) a silky quality by filling in broken cuticles, controlling frizz, and making strands reflect light". So basically, your hair will be shiny and pretty like Barbie's. Yesssss! Okay, on to the free product advertising. Seriously, I should be getting paid for this.
 
 
#1- Garnier Fructis "Sleek and Shine Moroccan Sleek Oil Treatment"
Available at most drugstores and superstores.
Approximate cost is $5.
 
For being first on the list, this was actually one of my least favorites. Although the scent is okay and the product is a good balance between runny and sticky-thick, it just did't work well. My hair is straight and decently thick but never tangles, and this serum actually dried it out but left it "sleek". It had no texture or movement.
 
 
 
#2- Schwarzkopf Professional BC Oil Miracle Light Finishing Treatment
Available at select salons, online, and in beauty supply stores like Twin State (WV/VA/MD/DC).
Approximate cost is $35, less if you're liscenced.
 
My Mother-in-Law got me a hook-up on all of the professional products, and I am thankful especially for getting to try this lustrious elixir. It is expensive for the size, but it's amazing! I really do think high-end beauty lines are better...the BC oil is a bit lighter, so it's perfect for girls with hair like mine. If you have coarse or thick hair, use the regular version. From the packaging to the bottle to the smell, this serum really was like an elixir. It left my hair shiny, touchable, sexy, and easily styled.
 
 
 
#3- Thermafuse Heatsmart Serum Dry Oil Treatment
Available at select salons, online, and  in beauty supply stores like Twin State (WV/VA/MD/DC).
Approximate cost is $15 for 3 oz. or $50 for 10 oz.
 
Out of all of these serums, I use this most often. Yes it's expensive but guess what, the bottle is large (yet lightweight) and has lasted forevs. The pump dispenses a perfect amount of product, and it glides on your hair like Yamagucci on ice. Thermafuse's version doesn't smell quite as intoxicating as the other high-end brands, but it's the perfect start to your blow-drying, flat-ironing, hair-damaging process.
 
 
 
#4- MoroccanOil Treatment
Available at select salons, online, and in beauty supply stores like Twin State (WV/VA/MD/DC).
Approximate cost is $15 for .85 oz or $40 for 3.4 oz.
 
This is the line that started it all and has, rightfully so, stayed on top. You know if someone has used this product the moment you smell them...it's the scent of a free vacation: the sea breeze, a fruity drink in hand. This is the original formula; however, they have recently released a "light" version which is fantastic. Sometimes I get a little heavy-handed with MoroccanOil, and I end up becoming the Mayor of Grease City with my fug hair. Be very careful with this go-go juice or it will weigh your fine hair down. For coarse or thick hair, this product is perfection in a bottle!
 
 
 
#5- Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Penetrating Oil
Available at most drugstores and superstores
Approximate cost is $8  for 3 oz.
 
I am not a fan of this brand. Magazines suggest this product all the time, but they're also being paid to do so...I am not getting any ca$h money, so I will tell it like it is. The product is so thick it's sticky, and the hole to dispense is so large you get an overwhelming amount of funk on your fingers. Not a good pick at all.
 
 
 
#6- Dove Nourishing Oil Care Anti-Frizz Serum
Available at most drugstores and superstores
Approximate cost is $5
 
I am, however, a fan of Dove products. They seem to live up to what they actually promise. This oil seurm is another example of that! While it's not very argan-y (really a blend of other oils with a teensy amount of argan), it still gives your hair a nice, sleek look. The formula is a little greasy; however, it doesn't dry that way and provides a nice amount of hydration. I also love the dispenser pump on this one!
 

10 comments:

  1. Laura from San ClanSeptember 20, 2012

    I like the original Moroccanoil best, too. It's pricey, but I'm a beautician so I get it discounted. whoop whoop! Love your blog...woud like to see more beauty and hair ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing, i think i'll try dove's one, seems right for my hair! www.moiminnie.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I have very thick and dry hair I think #3 and #6 sound like the best. I blow dry and straighten my hair all the time and I need a good heat protection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kesha, yes those sound like good options. For dry hair, the BC oil potion would be great. However, if you have really thick hair, you might like MoroccanOil the original formula! It's intensely hydrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used Organix products before and did not have any luck either. It made my hair feel coarse and beyond brittle!

    katiesbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice blog. Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo makes my hair smooth and shiny. Jamaican Black Castor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moroccan Oil is one of the best product for hair.i would refer my friends and relatives to use it and in most of the Hair Salon they used as main product for treatment

    ReplyDelete
  8. i also agree with Hair Salon Moroccan Oil is one of the best product for hair.
    your blog is so nice thank you much for sharing your blog with us. keep sharing.

    10% "Mira oil reviews"

    ReplyDelete
  9. This product sounds great. I never heard before about this. thanks for sharing Moroccan leather products

    ReplyDelete
  10. I purchased organix products online from Awesome bazar. Awesome Bazar provides best competitive prices product and fast delivery process . Really very nice service of awesome bazar, Awesome bazaar best Shopping destination. Find At https://awesomebazar.com/brands/organix/

    ReplyDelete