About Me       Advertise       Contact Me       Disclosure       FAQs       Link Love

10.14.2012

Healthy Lunches from Home

 
As much as I love my lunch run to Panera or the local burrito shop, this habit can become costly. We're talking $10 per day, $70 per week...and so on. We all do this math and think "I've got to start packing (or eating) lunch from home", but it never sticks. Why? Because most home lunches are boring. PB&J, turkey and cheese sandwich, last night's leftovers...lame! To break the cycle, I've tested and tweaked these starter recipes for Suburb Chic. If they taste as good to you as they do to me, I will follow-up with more. Just ask!

 
Tuna & Avocado Sandwich
 
 
 
What You'll Need...
1 small package or can of white, light tuna
1 ripe avocado
Something crunchy (I used celery, but you can use diced carrots or even small apple chunks)
1 lemon
2 slices of whole wheat bread
What You'll Do...
Mash your avocado up in a bowl, leaving it chunky for texture. Stir in tuna and your crunchy ingredient(s). Squeeze just a little lemon juice over top for acidity. Place this mixture on top of bread and devour! Note: I added lettuce and tomato slices to my sandwich, because I do what I want.

 
Bruschetta-Inspired Salad
 

 
What You'll Need...
A couple handfuls of spring mix or arugula (something with a bite)
Mozzarella Fresca
Grape or Cherry Tomatoes
Basil Vinegrette (blend 1 cup basil, 1 cup EVOO, 1 cup white cooking vinegar, 1 clove garlic)

 
What You'll Do...
This is so easy! Place lettuce on your plate, top with whole tomatoes and slices (or balls) of the mozarella cheese. Drizzle with your homemade vinegrette and enjoy!
 
 
Ginger & Apple Stir-Fry Over Rice


 
What You'll Need...
1 cup shelled edamame
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 large apple, sliced
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed OJ
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 cup cooked brown rice
 
 
What You'll Do...

Saute edamame in coconut oil for three minutes. Remove edamame and set aside. In a medium bowl combine your vinegar, OJ, ginger, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Toss apples in the vinegar mixture to coat. In the same skillet, saut√© the apples until tender, about 5 minutes. Add edamame to reheat. Place cooked rice on plate, top with apple mixture, eat!



6 comments:

  1. These all look so good! ♥ I might try a couple out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious <3! So excited to try these! Plus, you took the words out of my mouth, I always tell myself to stop wasting money on going out to lunch but it never lasts for more then a few days. Bummer! Thanks for the recipes :)

    xo Michelle
    Fierce & Fashionable

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such yummy and fresh food. Looks so good my friend, especially that Bruschetta inspired salad.
    Meredith
    createthatoutfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tuna and avocado looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pack my lunch every day for work and I'm always looking for something new to take. The tuna and avocado looks very good! Sandwiches and salads are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delicious!! thanks for sharing.
    x0-Jamie
    www.candystilettos.com

    ReplyDelete