About Me       Advertise       Contact Me       Disclosure       FAQs       Link Love

12.15.2012

The Do's & Dont's of Boots + Leggings

While shopping around the other day, my husband looked at me and said, "I don't want to offend you, but...why are girls all wearing leggings and boots?" He didn't want to offend because, well, I was wearing leggings and boots (because Regina George wore leggings and boots duh). This insightful inquiry by my fashion-confused husband got me thinking...what is it about leggings and boots that are so attractive to us women and why have they become such a popular combination?
 
For one, leggings are amazing as they look like real pants but, unlike those bastards called jeans or their evil cousins called trousers, leggings are super comfortable and super stretchy. Second of all, they can be worn in a variety of ways from the yoga studio to dinner out with the girls. And, as a sweet bonus, they make your legs and butt look about as good as they can without doing major work at spin class.
 
But what's the appeal of adding boots? I think the type of boot can totally transform the basic leggings look; for instance, motorcycle boots can give your outfit serious street cred while classic Ralph Lauren riding boots can give you country club cred. By golly, I've got it! Boots + Leggings provide unlimited types of styling...that's it, that's why we love them. We can mix up our pairings endlessly and always look different.
 
I've created to inspiration boards for all you leggy lovin', boot barin' babes. The first is what I call the "do's" and the second board is for straight up "don'ts".
 
 
 1. This cutie patootie rocks a "do" for several reasons: she mixes brown and black which is tres chic right now, cleverly tucks in her slouchy white tee in the front to keep her shape while also covering her rear in the black, and also keeps the look young and funky with combat boots.
 
2. This actress (she was on "90210" a few seasons ago), rocks another "cool girl" color combo: navy and black. She keeps the outfit simple and selectively rocker w/ a fedora and moto boots.
 
3. I love how relaxed this girl's outfit is, yet it still speaks glamour with her sparkly top and red lips. Also, her hair is completely done with retro curls adding to the glam factor.
 
4. Ahh! This is such a chic look...you wouldn't even know those were leggings! The classic, Chanel-inspired blazer gets edgy with a chain-adorned bag, sexy black boots, and an easy-fit top.
 
5.I added this to the "do" list, because it shows how to do boots + leggings with layers and textures. Add a scarf, add those cute little boot socks, and even throw on an extra chunky cardigan. Muy bien!
 

 
1. Do not directly match your boots 100% to your top...and maybe don't wear white slashed leggings between the two pieces. Yikes!
2. It's usually never a good idea to pair your leggings with UGGs, unless you're in the comfort (and privacy) of your own home. This outfit is also a "don't" because of the lack of butt and uhmmm "camel" coverage...you know what I'm saying. No no, Olivia, no!
3. This girl is hot but her outfit screams (besides "hot" to men)..."total hooker". Too much latex! Those leggings would look good with a longer, loose tee and flat boots. Also, maybe wash off that fake tattoo on yer arm.

4. Rawr! Although cheetah print is fierce, and she's totally rockin' her look, it's a no no! The leggings are cropped and her booties leave skin showing, creating an unflattering porportion. Also, those leggings are a little high for a half-tuck. Another camel toe 911 could arrise at any minute!


13 comments:

  1. The don'ts are really bad the rule is when wearing leggings you have to cover your bottom.
    Xo
    Rachelle
    Http://pinksole.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! I was thinking the same thing the other day...boots and leggings have become some sort of uniform for us...maybe because its so comfortable
    XO,
    Zhanna
    www.lifeandbows.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany, you hit the nail on the head! I love leggings and boots. I was just rocking that look yesterday :) And I agree with Rachelle-- you MUST wear leggings with a top that's long enough to cover your bootay!

    Love this post!

    Yamari (@yourgotogal)
    www.yourgotogal.co

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leggings are uber comfy! I probably own OVER 50 pair with about 15 still in their packaging. Legging are a staple first because they are so comfortable. They are easy to accessorize, be it a boot or a tunic. The thing about the boot, I think because it's winter time. People wear boots in cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. no matter how skinny you are, always cover your butt when wearing leggings!

    -Lauren
    http://ourprettypieces.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got my first pair of leggings and I'm hooked, and been having fun with experimenting with different looks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who sets the rules on how to wear leggings?? Showing a nice toned butt is ok. Camel toe yeah a bit hookerish. I loooove my leggings and my butt. I show both and look tasteful doing so. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who sets the rules on how to wear leggings?? Showing a nice toned butt is ok. Camel toe yeah a bit hookerish. I loooove my leggings and my butt. I show both and look tasteful doing so. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who sets the rules on how to wear leggings?? Showing a nice toned butt is ok. Camel toe yeah a bit hookerish. I loooove my leggings and my butt. I show both and look tasteful doing so. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned alot here thanks a million

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl #1 really knows how to rock a pair of leggings! Nice write up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you have a nice booty show it off!

    ReplyDelete