About Me       Advertise       Contact Me       Disclosure       FAQs       Link Love

2.10.2013

Spring Awakening: A Lesson in Colorblocking

 
 

 There's something about this outfit that leaves me at a loss of words; perhaps it's the multitude of bright colors bouncing off my suburban street and into my lazy Sunday brain? Or maybe it's the fact I'm watching "The Walking Dead", a gregariously gory show, trying to type an upbeat and cheery post (something along the lines of "yay, it's almost spring and I love colorblocking")...I don't know, but I am having writers' block. So instead of carefully-written prose full of sarcastic sartorialism, I will leave you to write your own "Spring Awakening" (more Suburb Chic than Tony Award-winning musical) in the comments below.

 
This look is not for the faint of heart...I first stopped with just the blouse, necklace, and jeans but then I went Emerill style and kicked it up a notch. Bam! Taking color risks left and right, like a culinary master might with his meals. Yeah, something like that. The key to colorblocking for me, is to start with bright basics (i.e. a button-up blouse and skinny pants) then add on more brights, in mixed but not quite matchy-matchy hues. Everything goes together but not in a cashmere sweater-set kind of way.
'
 
Fun fact, I have had these Betsey Johnson heels for almost six years. I hadn't taken them out to play though, because a dog we had when we were first married chewed on the heels for fun. Bad boy!





Shop My Style
Blouse- Old Navy
Necklace- Francesca's Collection (similar style here)
Jeans- American Eagle (similar style here)
Heels- Betsey Johnson, old (loving these!)
Clutch- Target (fun boxy option here)
Nail Polish- French Quarter for Your Thoughts by OPI


16 comments:

  1. love love love the outfit girl!!! especially that clutch, thats a great find!!

    -Lauren
    www.prettypiecesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great look, love the clutch.

    xo
    http://pinksole.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to color block! Color is my best friend. Great post!!
    xx
    Meg Purse Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the clutch!

    Please check out my online beauty store: http://beautybymissash.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!! I'll have my neon colorblocking outfit up this week.
    walkinginmemphisinhighheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Gorg on you!! Love this color combo, where are you Spring?! Thank you for your sweet comments today! xoxo

    www.McKennaBleu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look gorgeous!!
    following :)

    -marsa
    The DayLee Journal

    ReplyDelete
  8. great blog!! I just started following you.
    Check out my outfit posts and follow me back if you like. xx
    http://evangelinesallegory.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this outfit.
    Especially the mint shirt.

    You have a new follower over here! (both on Bloglovin and GFC) :)

    xx, A!
    glimpsesofa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Color blocking done right!

    xo Yamari
    @yourgotogal
    www.yourgotogal.co

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving those colors together =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your bag and the shoes! They definitely complete the look!! :)

    Mintgem

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your so good at this colorblocking thing! I'm not so good with colors so I may just have to copy this look :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is something daring about color blocking- which is surprising, because it is such a cheery look! The bag is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this outfit. It is the perfect combination of fun and sophistication!

    I can;t wait until Spring is here so bright colours can once again take over my wardrobe and winter clothes can be pushed to the back of my closet!

    Rebecca
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post!
    I love your blog style!
    Thanks for nice sharing with us!
    athletic clothing

    ReplyDelete