About Me       Advertise       Contact Me       Disclosure       FAQs       Link Love

8.19.2013

Battle of The Lashes: 3 Luxury Brands Put To The Test!

Many battles have been fought throughout American history...The Battle of Gettysburg, the Battle of Sarratoga, two well-known examples. However, none have been as substantial or noteworthy as the one I have for you today. The "Battle of the Lashes". It's ongoing, as we all seek that next great innovation for our lashes...more volume, more length, a fuller lash look. Today, I'm bringing three contenders straight from Sephora for the fiercest battle you may ever witness. The winner will go down in history, or atleast onto your vanity where you will use it over all the other mascaras for months.

The lash warriors going into battle today are three of the newest high-end mascaras on the market: Too Faced's "Better Than Sex", Bare Minerals' "Lash Domination", and Makeup Forever's "Smokey Eye". Let me show the specs before I put them to the ultimate test!

-    -    -    -    -

Too Faced Better Than Sex
$23.00 for .27 oz. 


Packaging- A fun, flirty pink tube with a slight metallic finish. It's the prettiest packaging of the bunch; however, there is one major drawback. The wand side (which you hold to put on the product) feels weighted. This makes it difficult to continuously hold the wand where you want it. I have no idea why it would be weighted? This made it very difficult for me to enjoy the mascara at first.
Brush Shape- An hourglass brush shape with regular bristles (not rubberized). I find the bristles to be nice and dense though that can sometimes give you a clumpy lash look. 
What It Promises- According to the Too Faced website, this "Better Than Sex" mascara promises a TON (including the name, I mean come on). 


"The Better Than Sex Mascara Hourglass-Shaped Brush was designed after discovering the bust-waist-hip ratio of an iconic silver screen Blonde Bombshell held the secret to the perfect brush silhouette that separates, coats and curls each lash to voluptuous perfection. One coat of the carbon black, collagen-fueled mascara formula and lashes are full, defined and stretched to unbelievable lengths. Two coats and lashes are even more luscious, curled and dramatic. Three coats and achieve the most intense black, oversized, multidimensional lashes possible! A mascara so amazing…it’s Better Than Sex!


How It Delivers- As I mentioned above, you can easily clump your lashes with this formula as it's thick but wet. My lashes do become thicker, but I don't notice a crazy lengthening effect with one or two coats. I also don't find my lashes separated effectively. It does provide a dark, intense black coat which lasts and doesn't flake so that's nice! This is not my favorite out of the three and I wouldn't say it lives up to its name, haha. I much prefer Too Faced's "Size Queen" for exaggerated lashes. 


BareMinerals Lash Domination
$18 for .24 oz (best value)


Packaging- Lightweight, sleek chrome finish. Cute, nice, modern.
Brush Shape- Labeled a "ProTwist180" wand, the brush has bristles spun 180 degrees. The bristles are rubberized, which I find are better at lengthening and defining lashes (though not necessarily thickening them). 
What It Promises- This volumizing, lengthening, thickening, separating, long-wearing mascara does it all. The exclusive ProTwist180™ Wand is spiraled 180 degrees to curve around each lash and coat at every angle with intense black color. Powdered by nourishing minerals and quinoa protein complex for larger-than-life lashes.
How It Delivers- I find that the brush really does coat every lash, small or large, with a super black finish. It helps to spin the brush as you apply on the lashes. The way the wand is shaped also allows you to get right up to the waterline when applying. This was my favorite mascara out of the three tried and I would probably purchase it again, although I prefer the Buxom "Buxom Lash" mascara for a long, defined, eye-opening look.


MAKE UP FOR EVER Smoky Extravagant
$24 for .23 oz


Packaging- Pretty basic black with the classic MUF logo. 
Brush Shape- A cone-shaped brush (which I typically dislike, because I feel like they don't work well on the inner corners of your eyes whatsoever) with spinning, non-rubberized bristles. 
What It Promises- This mascara delivers long-lasting wear with no clumping in one stroke. Using 4D technology, an exclusive microdefining wax complex envelopes the lash surface in ultrablack pigments for far-away impact and up-close precision. The dual-purpose, cone-shaped brush has a precision tip that separates lashes as the rounded base creates extravagant volume from any distance.
How It Delivers- I hated this mascara! Hate is a strong word, but I'm totes using it. I found this mascara wand hard to work with and the formula to be nothing special. If you want a smoky eye look, try MUF's "Smoky Lash" mascara instead or any drugstore formula...because this was just awful. 

-    -    -    -    -   

The winner of today's Lash Battle is the Bare Minerals "Lash Domination" mascara for it's price, packaging, and overall product quality! What do YOU want me to put to the test next? Comment below or tweet me @suburbchicblog. Your idea might show up on my blog OR my YouTube channel! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment